Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Wikis

I have used Wikipedia for as far back as I can remember. Whenever I was in high school and doing so, reliability and the open access aspects never seemed to bother me. If I allow myself to, I can spend all day on Wikipedia discovering different things that I have no prior knowledge of. There are many reasons why it is so intriguing. I think that Wikipedia has a super easy-to-use interface and find their "subject headings" to be very useful and helpful.

I was in charge of maintaining a Wiki at my previous library job. I found the experience to be interesting because all staff members could edit the wiki at any time. There were no meetings or wasted time in creating our pages because all of us could edit them whenever we wanted. While the library wikis we looked at were creative and cutting edge, I personally think a wiki is better suited to organizing staff meetings, pathfinders, etc. as opposed to making one for the general public. Wikis, however, do provide an incredible opportunity to reach out to all users due to its interactive nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment