Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Google Tools

For this exercise, I decided to explore Google Tools. One of them that sounded intriguing was "Google Custom Search." I was able to build a search engine to only search the websites I wanted to. In this case, I chose UB's Website.

Loading



I had a lot of fun picking out the layout and having enough power over it to tell it exactly what to search.

For the other tool, I decided to explore Google Books. This site seems to be a wonderful place to find free complete public domain books and excerpts of many (if not all) other books in print. With the advent of .pdfs and scanning technologies, many individuals have taken it upon themselves to digitize books that have been long forgotten. I search quite a few books but was able to find a rare out-of-print book from 1999. Unfortunately, it was not available in full-text. Half of the text is better than none!

http://books.google.com/books?id=pWFegGwtfPkC&pg=PA289&dq=piano+lefthand&hl=en&ei=BV3bTKvzBomosQPFq_yECA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&sqi=2&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

GoogleBooks is also extremely useful in a library setting. If a patron wants a public domain book that is checked out, the reference librarian could refer them to this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment