Monday, October 18, 2010

Flickr Tools/Mashups

I found this part of Flickr to be intriguing and worth investigating. Although I looked at quite a few mashups and different tools available to the Flickr user, my favorite one was the Mappr. I thought it was neat that other applications could work with Flickr to provide even better access to information than it could do by itself. The whole concept of displaying images of a map has been taken from this idea and taken it to a different level. For example, if one looks at GoogleEarth, he will see that the same type of technology is used but mostly for landscapes and outdoor scenery. Another large difference is that the user assigns GoogleEarth a specific latitude/longitude location whereas Mappr is based on the tags [metadata] that the user provides. Unfortunately, from the information I read, I found out that Mappr is no longer working :(. I did, however, find an interesting replacement. If you start on Flickr's main webpage and go to "explore" and then to "world map," one will find a hybrid of this mashup application.

No comments:

Post a Comment